2002 Oct 16 21:04

Re: [vox] need help: long boring question about the GPL

Re: [vox] need help: long boring question about the GPL

Or, you can save your questions for the November 5th meeting when Lawrence
Rosen is scheduled to speak. He still is coming, right?

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> begin Marianne Waage <yamara@plush.org>
> > On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 12:25:42PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > > bill alexander gave a talk about a program called chord (version 3).  i
> > > have a question about licensing --- the terms are big mess.
> > > i'd like to focus on the restrictions that say:
> > >
> > > a. you're not allowed to distribute a modified version of the program
> > >    without written consent of the authors.
> > >
> > > b. you can't use the source code in any other commercial or public
> > >    domain software.
> >
> > Would it be horrible to suggest having the unmodified program and include
> > a diff in a seperate file of what you've changed? Then you're not disting
> > modified code, but still including your enhancements...
> >
> > Kind of a kludge, but at least it seems like you wouldn't be violating
> > any part of their messed up license attempts.
>
> that's actually a good idea -- i forgot about this option.  i think this
> is what debian does with pine.  thanks for mentioning this.
>
> pete
>
> --

R. Douglas Barbieri
doug@dooglio.net
http://www.dooglio.net

vi: "The way God meant for man to edit text files..."

GPG Public key : http://www.dooglio.net/dooglio.gpg