2002 Oct 19 16:10

[vox] Dewie the e-Turtle

In this month's Crypto-gram.  Bruce Schneier's comment:
>This is about as pathetic as you can get.  The Federal Trade Commission
>has decided that computer security needs a mascot, kind of like Smokey
>the Bear.  So we now have Dewey the Turtle, who's here to promote
>secure computing for everyone.  "When you see the ping of death, duck
>and cover."
<www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/edcams/infosecurity/index.html>

Naturally, this sounded WAY more interesting than work, so I checked it
out.  I am pleased (?) to report that the website above is fer
realz.  Also entertaining, in a "dear God..." kind of way.  Sample quote:
"Dewie's wired, but carries his security shell no matter what he's doing
on the Internet. Even though turtles take their time, Dewie crosses the
finish line first because he takes the appropriate steps to avoid a
disaster."

Man, this is the best government humor since the "CIA for Kids" page.  I
wonder if they sell stuffed animals?

--nicole twn

***
"Malcolm solves his problems with a chainsaw, and he never has the same
problem twice!"--the Arrogant Worms
Visit www.nicolopolis.com ... digital nonsense for a weary world.