2002 Oct 11 13:54

Re: [vox] Which Window Manager/Desktop do you use?

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 11:16:40AM -0700, andy wergedal wrote:
> Which Window Manager/Desktop do you use.
>
> After Chiming in on the basic unix tutorial idea from Pete,
> it  caused me to wonder what environment is everyone using?
>
> I have switched from Sawfish/Gnome back to fvwm2. no
> desktop.
>
> I occasionally start the Gnome panel.
>
> I might go back to sawfish, but I don't really need the
> desktop.

I use sawfish. No desktop.

I think that every hard-core GNU Emacs fan would *have* to love
sawfish if they played with it long enough: it has the same major
advantage that Emacs has: Lisp- (well, Scheme-) based,
get-out-of-your-way customization! Not that I play around with the
Scheme side of sawfish, actually: because customization is extremely
easy without going to that level, thanks to the GUI customization
facility (that works with GNOME's setup util, too). And this is by no
means an indication that all you vi fans shouldn't even bother with
it...

What I love best about sawfish is how easy it is to asign a key-combo
to pretty much every activity you can think of. A friend of mine, who
*hates* using the mouse if he can at all avoid it, has his sawfish set
up so he can move windows around, resize 'em, move 'em to other
viewports, etc., without ever moving his hand over to the mouse.

-Micah