2002 Oct 11 11:17

Re: [vox] a worthy project

This is a good idea.

IMO, there should be a couple of sections.
   command line basics
   Gnome/KDE basics (or another window manager)
   basic *NIX thinking.

Basic *NIX thinking is the most important thing. ex. Put
all your contacts in a plain text file then grep the file
for all people named "Andy" instead of finding the _right_
contact manager. cat contacts|grep Andy

I found that once I divorced myself from the
(everything-you-need-is-a-powertool-extention) windows
concept to the (Every-tool-you-need) *NIX concept I became
a poweruser over night. <caveat> I still forget and use the
man pages </caveat> The contacts idea is just the beginning
of sparking their imagination.

-- Andy