2002 Oct 04 00:58

Re: [vox] nethack...

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 09:15:47PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> begin dugan@passwall.com <dugan@passwall.com>
> >
> > I have played nethack off and on for a long time. I even made it to some
> > lower levels (like 27) in the dungeon before I died...
> >
> > Anyway, I read the man pages on it a long time ago. One of the things
> > that it stated is that nobody has ever been able to get the Amulet of
> > Yendor, and bring it back to the surface to win the game.
>
> i dunno.  LOTS of people claim to have won the game without cheating.
> there's a webpage i stumbled across that lists the names of people who
> supposedly won at nethack without cheating.
>
> frankly, i don't believe any of them.  the lyin' bastards.  ;)

Well, I *know* it should be possible. I could have gotten the amulet and
taken it to the surface when I made it to level 27 for the dungeon I was
in, if I knew what i knew now. Taking it out of the dungeon is a part I
*dont* know if I could have done.

> > If you have played this game, and want to know some of the "secrets" I
> > found, please send me a private e-mail. I dont want to send spoilers to
> > this open list for those who want to play it for real without cheating.
>
> sounds cool.  maybe you can post it to the web?  in rec.games.nethack,
> people do this sort of thing:
>

>              DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!!!  DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!!!
>

>                              SPOILERS AHEAD
>

>              DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!!!  DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!!!

Sure. That would be cool. I'll look to see if anyone else has any pages
on how to win with spoiles with google. Then if nobody else has done
something like it, perhaps I will do it. :-)

It would probably be better if actually beat the game without any
cheating before I post "how to win". ;-)

(more)

> nethack is a tough game!

yes. It seems it requires more luck than skill. :-/

> > In some ways, saying that ther *is* a way to win to game when cheating,
> > may be a kind of spoiler in itself. (Sorry.)
>
> nah!
>
> > Perhaps, now that I know it is possible, I will work to do it without
> > cheating. Heh heh heh. :-D
>
> i've "won" at nethack a few times, but they all involved cheating.  i
> never entered wizard mode, but i did things like:
>
> put a makewish() call in each case of the switch statements that
> determine what happens when you drink at a fountain or sink
>
> commented out code in dozap() that decreases the number of remaining
> charges in a wand
>
> modified the sections of code which check to see if your god gets angry
> at you for praying too much (what a strange comment).
>

> yeah, i know.  shameful.  but frankly, i didn't want to make nethack a
> life long pursuit, and i wanted to see the ending, dammit!
>
> for what it's worth, even after modifying the source code, it was still
> TREMENDOUSLY difficult to finish.  almost too hard to be fun.  i can
> only imagine what it's like without cheating...
>
> finishing nethack without cheating makes theoretical high energy physics
> look like basket weaving.

Well, I know I could have made it to "End Game" without cheating, if I
would have known what I could have done to get the Amulet. However, I
am not sure if I could have passed end game. :-/

My gut feeling is that it *is* possible. When I have more time, I think
I will verify it.

-ME