2002 Sep 30 15:00

Re: [vox] [OT] pacbell phone bills

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> hi lugod,
>
> every so often i try to audit my phone bill.  suppose the total charges
> (what pacbell wants me to pay) is Y.  the phone bill appears to be
> broken down into sections, and each section has a gray highlighted area
> that shows the total amount for that section.  like this:
>
>    AT&T charges:
>
>          blah blah blah
>
>    ---------------------------------------------------------
>    |   TOTAL:                                     X1       |
>    ---------------------------------------------------------
>

>    Custom Calling Features:
>
>          blah blah blah
>
>    ---------------------------------------------------------
>    |   TOTAL:                                     X2       |
>    ---------------------------------------------------------
>

> anyway, i've NEVER been able to verify that X1 + ... + XN == Y.

I have.  However, I too was confused until I realized I had to start at
the "Current Charges" (CC) section and work my way "into" the bill.  The
"Summary of Pacific Bell Current Charges" (SPBCC) is a breakout of one of
the lines in the CC section, and a couple of the grey summary lines after
that feed into the SPBCC section, while others feed into the CC section.

> the phone bill seems needlessly cluttered and complicated, but not
> having the individual section totals add up to what pacbell wants me to
> pay is just stepping over the line.

If they truly aren't adding things up correctly, that would be "not good".

> do other people have the same problem?  i'd like to know if it's just MY
> bill that's suffering from this.

Pacbell's bill is simple.  Try figuring out your PG&E bill.  I worked my
way through it once successfully, and pretty much decided it wasn't worth
the effort to repeat it.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing