2002 Sep 30 14:14

Re: [vox] [OT] pacbell phone bills

begin Mark K. Kim <markslist@cbreak.org>
> I've never had problems with adding up the numbers on the Pacbell phone
> bill.  Basically, they do a top-down approach, where they list the totals
> first, and list the sections.  Then when you go to each section, they list
> the total for the section, then list the sub-sections.  Then subsections
> are broken down, if necessary, so on and so forth.  They've always added
> up properly for me.

that's what i'm having problems with -- adding up the sections to equal
the sum total.

i think i know what happened this month, though.  i had a credit of
$64.65 because of a DSL home service visit (don't ask, that's a whole
story in itself).  they told me to ignore $64.65 on my last bill, so
i did.

this month, i have an unpaid balance of 64.65 which pacbell told me to
"pay up or face late charges".

i'm not sure of the details, but approximately what happened is that i
DID get the credit.  however, the CURRENT SBC internet charges (my DSL
charge which has nothing to do with the service visit) were broken into
two parts.  one part which equals 64.65 (but has nothing to do with the
home visit other than having the same dollar amount), and another part
which is the total charge minus 64.65 (broken into little pieces).

they gave me a credit for the first part and charged me for the second
part.

so looking at the bill, it *appears*:

[1]
1. they didn't credit my 64.65.
2. i didn't get charged for DSL this month
3. a bunch of wierdly named other charges that had no justification.

however, when you add all this stuff up (and it took me a good 30
minutes), the total charge is equal to:

[2]
1. they gave me a credit of 64.65
2. they charged me for DSL this month.

they forgot one of the "nameless" charges of 4.85 to make [1] and [2]
add up.  the woman said to just not pay the 4.85 this month.  it'll be
billed next month.  holy cow.

why the hell would they bill this way?  i can't believe anyone in their
right mind would call this a "good billing system".

> What I've had problems with a couple times is they'd send me the last
> bill, and when I pay them, then they'd send me another bill for 1 cent...
> probably a rounding error on their computer system.  The first time this
> happened, I sent them a check for 1 cent with a note saying, "you guys
> realize you spent more than a penny just to bill me for this one penny,
> right?"

i never had that problem.

pete