2002 Sep 26 22:22

[vox] handspring visor is dead

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_Story.asp?ID=2833

the visor is dead.  long live the visor.

i predict handspring will be out of business within 2 years.

pete

Handspring to Eventually Stop Making the Visor

During a conference call today, Handspring CEO Donna Dubinsky said for
the first time that her company will eventually stop making Visors and
only make Treos. She said, "We are a company that is transitioning out
of the organizer business and into the communicator business. At some
point we will have transitioned out of the organizer business." Ms.
Dubinsky didn't say when this switchover might take place.

Since the introduction of the Treo line last fall, there had been much
speculation about Handspring's future plans for the Visor, especially
because the Treo doesn't include the Springboard slot, which before had
been the primary feature of all the company's handhelds.

While Ms. Dubinsky didn't flat-out say this was the end of the
Springboard, the implication is certainly there.

This announcement means Handspring is betting its entire future on the
success of the Treo line.

In what will hopefully not be a sign of things to come, Ms. Dubinsky
also had to announce that the rollout of the Treo will be delayed in the
U.S. due to parts shortages at its Mexican plant.