2002 Sep 23 06:59

Re: [vox] server backups

begin Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net>
> On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 09:39:30PM -0700, colin kelly wrote:
> > does anyone know of any backup utilitys that you can use in linux remotly so
> > you can download the content of your server to your own computer in a gziped
> > file ?
> >

> The simplest would be a script that tar'd up the files you want, and then
> put it somewhere for you to grab via, for example, scp.

agreed.  i've found that with many utilities, like backup utilities, cd
burning software and mp3 creation, by the time you read their docs
enough to customize to your desire, you could've whipped something up
using perl and cron or at.  and be intimately familiar with your
homegrown utility.  always a plus.

tar, for example, has an incremental switch which is perfect for this
kind of thing.

> I don't know much about "backup utilities" proper (e.g., stuff that can
> save to tape or CD, and does incremental backups, etc.), though...

yes, the flexible nature of unix makes some things ... irrelevant.

but if you have your heart set on canned software, i remember either
linux journal or linux magazine had a pretty in depth article on backup
software for linux.   they have most of their past issues online and
have a useful search utility.

pete