2002 Sep 18 12:23

Re: [vox] The Dotties

the dottie awards just suck.  the people in charge of dottie awards
haven't faintest clue about what a good website is.  if you have any
doubts, take a look at my favorite site up for the award:

   http://www.amusedteen.com/

sweet.

i have an image of a bunch clueless older men who don't know the first
thing about computers other than how to start up a browser.  but they're
"professionals" who use terms like "dot com", "synergy", "flash", "cost
of ownership" and "java applet".

use lynx or links to take a look at:

   http://www.nolte.com

nice.

don't get me wrong.  some of the websites they have as "finalist" are
pretty good.  but it's clear what the clueless dottie people are looking
for:

1. flash.  and a lot of it.

2. as much javascript as possible.  requirements are rollovers, rolling
   picture banners.  and once your page has is bursting at the seams
   with javascript, you reinforce the walls and stuff more in.  too much
   is not enough.

3. as many images as possible.

cross browser compatibility?  irrelevent.

non graphical browser compatibility?  irrelevent.

fast load time by limiting graphics?  irrelevent.

conformance to w3c standards?  irrelevent.

using images to enhance content rather than be the content?  irrelevent.

i mean, what if i wanted to print out one of these pages.  do ANY of
them have a "printer friendly" version?  or is my printer supposed to
reproduce flash on paper?

and if you have doubts of what i'm saying, zach o'donnell from UCD is
one of the judges.   zach, who sold the UCD student list (social
security numbers and all) to MCI and tried to issue student ID cards
that doubled as an MCI phone card.   zach who thinks that:

   www.ucdavis.edu

is a good website.  i mean, hell in handbasket.  i've been at UCD for 6
friggin years and i STILL can't navigate that sorry excuse for a
website.  i can barely find the schedule of classes every quarter.

i'd say that ucdavis has the LEAST FUNCTIONAL website i've ever seen.
bar none.  i've written to the webmaster numerous times, and all i ever
got back was "we think it's good".  zach was a good choice for the
dottie awards.

we now know what "dottie" means.  it means "the dottiest judging
criteria".

what a joke.  bill, you should be GLAD we're not a finalist.  i'd rather
our website be as functional and as usable as it is right now.

pete

ps- i'll bet you money that the lugod mailing list search utility would
win the dottie awards!  :-)

begin Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net>