2002 Sep 17 10:44

RE: [vox] [OT] cell phone question

It would appear that on Sun, 15 Sep 2002, Steven Peck did say:

> [Ericsson phones] wouldn't break no matter how many times you
> dropped them down a stairwell.

I can prove this wrong as the breaker of many Ericsson phones. Back in the
days when I was living in Ireland, I went through a Motorola (big solid
brick of a thing that was damn near unbreakable - 'cept for the
extendable antenna, which I snapped the end off without trying - luckily
all my friends had spares left over when they trashed their old analog
models), 3 Ericssons (GF-768, T18, and GH-688 - snapped entire antenna
assemblies off all 3) and ended up with a Nokia 3210, which was the
precursor to the 3310, the European GSM version of the 33XX series. I
think my sister's still using my old 3210.

I currently have a Nokia 3390 from Cingular and it's great. I would
recommend going for one of the GSM providers - currently Cingular and
T-Mobile/Voicestream but I hear rumours that AT&T are moving in that
direction. If I hadn't taken the 2 year contract with Cingular or
TMobile/Voicestream had been available in the state when I got my phone, I
would go with the 3390 Gold for the completely frivolous reason that it
has AIM embedded in it ;).

Anyway, my main reason for recommending GSM is because all the info is
stored on a SIM card which is relatively safe if you happen to drop your
phone in the toilet or some such thing. It's also handy if you happen to
know someone with another GSM phone and your battery dies a death - the
SIM cards are easily interchangeable. Also, it's what's used pretty much
worldwide, of course with US incompatibilities built in, such as a
different waveband.

johnmc.
--
 . johnmc@ | hyperattractive.net - +1-408-985-7992 (home) .