2002 Sep 15 20:37

[vox] [OT] 60,000 Credit Cards Numbers Stolen Online

[vox] [OT] 60,000 Credit Cards Numbers Stolen Online

Slashdot reported:

  60,000 Credit Cards Numbers Stolen Online

  "140,000 credit card numbers were tested for validity yielding about
  62,000 valid credit card numbers and $300,000 of fraudulent charges..."

  http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/09/14/1913243

Which points to this article at MSNBC:

  Massive credit card heist suspected

  "A Los Angeles-based Internet company said that 140,000 fake credit card
  charges ... were processed through its transaction system ... Paul Hynek,
  CEO of Web site operator Spitfire Novelties, said its credit card
  transaction processor, Online Data Corp, approved some 62,000 of the
  apparently false charges, valued at over $300,000."

  http://www.msnbc.com/news/807675.asp

This made me wonder: "What web server is this site running!?"

So I did a Google search for "Spitfire Novelties."  Nothing came up,
so I tried looking for "Online Data Corp", and found:  www.onlinedatacorp.com

I plugged that into Netcraft.com's "What's that site running?" form, and got:

  The site ... is running Microsoft-IIS/5.0 on Windows 2000.

Then I went back to trying to find this "Spitfire Novelties" website.
I did a search for "Paul Hynek" and one of the first results was a biography
of him, and mentioned a site called 'Spitfire Ventures.'  Close enough!

I plugged THAT website,  www.spitfire-ventures.com,  into Netcraft and got,
you guessed it,

  The site ... is running Microsoft-IIS/5.0 on Windows 2000.

BTW, going back to the window with the "Spitfire Ventures" search in it,
I just noticed the product these people actually sell:

  "Talking Toilet Paper"

*blink*

Gooooodnight, folks!