2002 Sep 10 02:48

Re: [vox] [oualline@ftp.oualline.com: Re: Typesetting Vi IMproved- Vim]

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> hrm.
>
> ok, this is only slightly less embarrasing than running a lugod meeting
> with my fly open would be (which thankfully has never happened).

That anyone has told you :P

> oh well.  i never heard of quark; i assume it's a windows thingie.

No, its a MAc (and windows thingie) and it is the most common pre-press
layout tool in existence (85%+ market share for markets that involve
typesetting/pre-press houses, especially from mid to large scale,
including most newspapers and media journals, publishing houses
and such).  It's been around for about
a decade or more (i dabbled with it in the early 90s but decided Pagemaker
from Aldus was cheaper and easier at the time). The only comperable
equivalent under UNIX is Framemaker (which really isnt quite the same
thing) or Adobe InDesign (which is trying to be the same thing but not
making that much progress).  Adobe and Quark are dire enemies, and at one
time the much smaller Quark attempted a hostile buy of Adobe (circa 1997 I
think)...which has made the feud between the two almost as published as
Bill gates vs (insert favourite Billy Boy the Wonder Clod detractor here).

It is actually a stupidly powerful tool that lets you essentially do
through a gui what you do by hadn with LaTex, as well as manage workflow
of really large projects. Unfortunately its not very intuitive (when I
tried it it wasnt at all and from my friends in pre-press it still isnt --
they
just have over so many years learned every hotkey and shortcut to the
point that a switch to a new app is almost akin to making them suicidal).