January 6: Social gathering
2002 Sep 09 15:01

Re: [vox] Open Source Advocate fired from HP...

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> i'm confused.  2 - 2.5 weeks ago, i read on lwn.net that perens _quit_
> from hp.  he said he wanted to get more involved in grass roots open
> source evangelism, which is job at hp prevented somewhat.  the article

More likely, Perens knew his days were numbered (he wasn't really adding
to HPs bottom line and with some of his last stunts, he was becoming a
liability), he was smart and preempted the chop.

> went on to say that his former boss said the split was amicable and he
> wished perens the best.

All public splits like that are 'amicable'.  That's spin.  That's why you
have 'non-disparagement' clauses in work contracts.

> now the nyt is reporting he was recently fired.
>
> strange.

Not really. Just poorly handled.  The PR clowns at HP should have handled
this better.