2002 Sep 09 15:01

Re: [vox] Open Office vs MS

My thoughts on Open office and free word processors.

Since my last post on this topic I have been actively using
ABI Word and OpenOffice Writer instead of MS Word.

I tried to use each application to create and modify
word-processing type documents.

- Word Processors -

Word (xp) is the most compatible. It does not have trouble
opening any .doc file. Though it rewrites all the older
versions to the most recent version and makes the resulting
file incompatible with all previous versions of Word.

ABIWord is the most compatible with MS .doc format. and
renders all things except OLE objects that are embedded in
the .doc (like excel tables and powerpoint slides). Without
these embedded MS technologies ABIWord opens and updates
.doc files just fine. A word of caution though, .doc files
with the editing features turned on will not work in
ABIWord and will cause you more pain than they are worth.
Besides tracking changes means that all the information is
still in the document (if you know where to look) so the
only way to keep the final version is in print.

OpenOffice Writer is not as compatible as ABIWord and takes
much longer to open than ABIWord. It had more problems with
the formatting of a .doc file than ABIWord. I only used
this program for a few days before going to back ABIWord.

Conclusion ABIWord is cross platform and the most
compatible with MS Word.

-- Andy

I did these tests on a Dell 8100 1.2Ghz/512Mb and a Dell
cpi 300Mhz/128Mb.