January 6: Social gathering
2002 Sep 21 20:59

Re: [vox] Codeweavers to speak in October

Re: [vox] Codeweavers to speak in October

Wow, that's very exciting news!  I think the cross-over plugin is neato
(although I admit I'm using the trial version).

I'd like to ask the list what they think about cross-over.

This is similar to old, many-times-repeated debates, but does Linux
_need_ Microsoft Office?  I really enjoy the Quicktime in
Mozilla/Netscape thing, but I'm bet Codeweavers is placing their real
money on Cross-over Office.  I own and have used Win4Lin (mostly just to
run Macromedia Fireworks; Gimp users feel free to chew me out for this,
but I still think Fireworks is very good for web-graphics).

Anyway, the point is, the more I think about it, the more it seems
silly.  Look Ma!  I've got MS Windows in a window!  I've all but dumped
that program (Win4Lin) just cause it's a pain to install, and I just
find less and less of a need for anything like that.

Wine and it's derivatives seem a little less ridiculous cause you're
never not running Linux, and you can almost think of Wine as being
similar to the libraries you might need installed to run any given
program, but comes at the price of a huge amount of bulkiness.   AND it
just seems like programming time better spent writting real Linux apps.

I'm sure there are a whole slew of happy transmeta users...but it seems
like if game manufactures know that's going on, they're going to be even
less prone to make a good Linux version of their game.

I just wish a native Quicktime player would get done.  If we can have
real, flash, acrobat, etc....

Anyway, just ranting,
Dave