2002 Sep 08 21:39

[vox] lame phone spam...

"I have had it up to *here* with being spammed on my extra phone line!"
[Image of some guy holding his hand up to some part of his anatomy - above
the neck.]

OK. I have talked about this before, but wanted to ask if anyone has done
it... I was thinking of setting up a 1-900 service and then publishing the
1-900 number as part of my phone contact for the domains that I own at the
registrar. Also, I was thinking about using this phone number at
conventions and anything where they require a phone number. (My business
card can, of course, have a regular number, but I can control who gets
them.)

Certainly, this will mean I wont get business calls to this number, but i
could always give them a different number. The idea is to cut down on spam
and phone solicitations. Also, if they are dumb enough to spam a 900
number, I'd just keep them one as long as possible to have them pay me for
my time.

So, I wanted to know how much of a cost was associated with setting up a
900 service, and how could you control it on cost per minute? Are there
limits? Say, could I charge $1000/minute? (All it would take would be one
phone call. ;-)

Suggestions on 900 service providers and estimates on cost if you have
experience with such services is welcome.

Maybe even a 900 based service that takes messages and writes them to
e-mail...

I know this is not the nicest thing to do to the community, and someone
who would like to complain to someone on the phone about a domain, but
perhaps I could always refund money to genuine complaints... :-/
(Though I have never received a technical call on my contact line, so it
seems unlikely to get many.)

Thanks!
-ME