2002 Sep 03 14:47

Re: [vox] nvidia

begin Dmitriy <ace22b@myrealbox.com>
> On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 03:09:06AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >
> > dmitriy,
> >
> > i've been doing alot of research, and i can confirm those prices.
> >
> > the quadro4, *lowest* end model can clock in as low as $400.  i've seen
> > the higher end models break $1500.
> >
> To be honest I don't really keep track of quadro, but I'd like 1500 one
> :-)
>
> > also, you can the geforce4 for $200, but depending on clock speed and
> > core chipset, can get to be $400.
>
> I know you can get 4200 for around 200 or even less, and it is great
> deal, but he specifically stated GF4 4600 ("The top of the line Nvidia
> card aimed at PC workstations is the Geforce 4 TI 4600 is about $200"),
> AFAIK the prices are still between $300-350, or even more for this one.

okay, so you knew what he meant.

> > the problem is that nvidia, like many other video card manufacturers,
> > has so many damned models, it's totally confusing.
> >
> Well, IMO quite easy GF4 4200, 4400, 4600.

you need to do some reading.  i'd suggest nvidia's website as a start.
you'll count 7 products which call themselves part of the geforce4
lineup.

[1]: see [2]

however, asus alone markets 2 different versions of the geforce4 Ti4600
and 2 different versions of the Ti4400.

creative offers their own lineup.

leadtek offers no less than 8 versions of a geforce4.

tell me the pros and cons between the "leadtek winfast A250 ultra TDH"
and the "creative 3D blaster 4 titanium 4600".  i'd like a comparitave
analysis including pricing comparisons.

> What I really dislike is selling castarted GeForce 2 under label of
> Gefroce 4 MX, which confuses many people who don't really keep up with
> this stuff, thinking they buy real GeForce 4, while MX is nowhere near.

so in the previous paragraph you said it was quite easy to keep track of
the geforce4 models.  yet now you say it's confusing (actually, the word
you're looking for is "misleading").

[2]: see [1]

thanks for making my point for me.

peter