2002 Aug 30 20:37

Re: [vox] davis: blood strike

begin nbs <nbs@sonic.net>
> On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 05:44:38PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > yeah, but i don't think they had a choice of location.  that place is
> > HUGE.  rhonda pointed out that since it's a family owned business, they
> > probably live there too.
>
> Uhh - When I looked at that place when it was up for rent, I didn't see
> any living space.

that doesn't mean they don't live there.  ;)   i'd be willing to bet
they do!

> <snip>
> > i kind of hope they go under.  davis couldn't possibly support two of
> > those kinds of businesses (unlike thai and indian restaurants).
>
> Is there even a second one!?  (And you forgot to mention chinese restaurants..
> I can't even remember how many we have in Davis!)

that was my point -- if they go under, hopefully some savy business
person with a keen interest in computers and gaming would do it right!
i still think it _could_ be profitable.  wouldn't make anyone rich (in
davis) but i think it could be a viable business.  i think it would do
really well in one of the bigger cities around here that doesn't have a
university, like fairfield or vacaville.  at 5/hr, even teenagers can
afford it on their allowance.  personally, if places like that were
around when i was a teen, i know where all my money would've gone!

as it stands, all my money went into dragon's lair.  i remember the
first time i played, i spent my entire weekly allowance, 10 bucks, on
that game in one sitting!

as for chinese restaurants, i guess i was taking that for granted.
chinese and pizza places are even more constant than death and taxes.
;-)  what's unusual about davis is that we've been blessed with thai and
indian places.  it's an embarrasment of riches.

6 years ago we had neither thai nor indian places.  today we have 3 thai
and 2 indian.  two of the thai places seem to THRIVE with the exact same
business hours.  talk about having a captive audience!  :-)

pete