2002 Aug 30 18:41

Re: [vox] davis: blood strike

begin nbs <nbs@sonic.net>
> On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 05:13:14PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >
> > i'm giving the place no more than a year to live.   i wouldn't be
> > surprised at all if they folded within 6 months.
>
> You've put into numbers what I've been thinking about the place
> all along.  It's a shame, but seriously - how can a LAN gaming place
> live in a town like Davis?  DSL's not impossible to get.  There
> aren't _THAT_ many hardcore gamers in this town (mostly seems to be
> the studious type), and the location is pretty abysmal.

yeah, but i don't think they had a choice of location.  that place is
HUGE.  rhonda pointed out that since it's a family owned business, they
probably live there too.

the same place downtown would easily be $5000/month or more.  they
couldn't possibly survive, even with the better location.

i might be tempted to go there myself if they had more ambience (if i
ever wanted to feel like i'm in a classroom, i'd just go to my office)
and a better selection of games.

they've totally ignored open source, and i think that is a mistake.

it's also a mistake not to have more offerings.  even games like doom
and quake I are still pretty popular, and dirt cheap.

if *i* were to run a business like that, and had as many rooms as they
do, i'd have a special room set up for kids so that mom and dad can drop
johnny off while they went shopping downtown.  nobody spends money like
parents do, and frankly, it would be good way to get rid of the kid
while you do something boring like, say, shopping for clothes at
samiras.  supervised, of course.  :-)

i kind of hope they go under.  davis couldn't possibly support two of
those kinds of businesses (unlike thai and indian restaurants).  when
they go, i hope someone with good business sense and a clearer vision
takes their place.

speaking of which, i thought that day where we all brought our computers
to lampost and had a LAN party was alot of fun.  we should do that again
sometime.   :)

pete