2002 Aug 27 22:44

Re: [vox] SpamCop.... (possible changes...)

Re: [vox] SpamCop.... (possible changes...)

begin ME <dugan@passwall.com>
> Hey list users,
>
> I have used spamcop for a long time, and never noted them listing my ISP
> or valid MX relays in any of the parsed potential SPAM relays (pre-checked
> boxed). After carfully checking the spam reports to make sure my ISP and
> friends were not reported over many months (sometimes they would be
> listed, but never checked as servers to report) I grew to trust their
> filtering to not report my friends.
>
> Dumb thing to do. I should know better.
>
> Something has changed at spamcop. After stupidly, and blindly choosing
> "submit" for each report, over the last 2 or 3 weeks, my ISP and my
> friend's box were included in more than one report!
>
> To make matters worse, the latest bits of spam, when processed have shown
> *only* my valid MX relay and my ISP! (SPamCop was not able to find the
> original hosts beyond my ISP and valid MX relay!)
>
> There was a time where spamcop was useful, but it seems that the header
> munging being done by spammers has exceeded spamcop's ability to process
> them. I am getting more unprocessable spam than spam that can be processed
> by them.
>
> I hate being in the position of having wrongfully accuing someone of
> something they did not do, and not even be aware I did it until after the
> fact.

mike,

the only changes i've noticed are:

1. spamcop seems more intelligent about spam to listserves.  we've had
   some difficulties in the past of spamcop thinking that lugod.org
   was a spamhause.  that seems to have gotten better.

2. spamcop is inching over to "nagware".   :*(

fwiw, i once had a problem with spamcop; can't remember what it was.
i think it was a problem with the HTML generator and their webpage
wasn't being set up correctly.  this was a long time ago...

anyway, they have a mailing list which i subscribed to and asked about
the problem.  it got solved within minutes.  literally minutes.

if you see a problem with spamcop and have any suggestions (or want them
to be aware of something they may not be aware of), i highly recommend
contacting them.  you'd be sure as heck doing me a favor, since i'm a
diehard spamcop user myself!

pete