2002 Aug 27 22:23

[vox] SpamCop.... (possible changes...)

Hey list users,

I have used spamcop for a long time, and never noted them listing my ISP
or valid MX relays in any of the parsed potential SPAM relays (pre-checked
boxed). After carfully checking the spam reports to make sure my ISP and
friends were not reported over many months (sometimes they would be
listed, but never checked as servers to report) I grew to trust their
filtering to not report my friends.

Dumb thing to do. I should know better.

Something has changed at spamcop. After stupidly, and blindly choosing
"submit" for each report, over the last 2 or 3 weeks, my ISP and my
friend's box were included in more than one report!

To make matters worse, the latest bits of spam, when processed have shown
*only* my valid MX relay and my ISP! (SPamCop was not able to find the
original hosts beyond my ISP and valid MX relay!)

There was a time where spamcop was useful, but it seems that the header
munging being done by spammers has exceeded spamcop's ability to process
them. I am getting more unprocessable spam than spam that can be processed
by them.

I hate being in the position of having wrongfully accuing someone of
something they did not do, and not even be aware I did it until after the
fact.

Damn. I suck.

Hopefully, others have not been put in a similar position and this can
help you to pay attention to the places I did not.

-ME