2002 Aug 26 09:40

Re: [vox] [OT] Learning to program

Peter Jay Salzman writes:
 > i guess i'm the poster child for doing it yourself.  never took a CS
 > class in my life.

<qualifier snipped>

Same here. I took, lessee... Intro to Computers (required GE) an'
Pascal. Neither have much of anything to do with what I do these
days... except that I think I learned octal from Intro to Computers.

 > > Algorithms? How important is math to programming? Actually...Can you learn
 > > good math whilst programming?
 >
 > no.  good math comes from studying math.   good algorithms come from
 > studying good algorithms (or by really dissecting code and having long
 > conversations with knowledgable friends).
 >
 > besides, there are so many kinds of programming that even if someone
 > disagreed with my sentiment would have to at least agree with "it
 > depends".

No arguments here.

 > i know this is heresy, but i'm not sure K+R would be a suitable book for
 > a first time programmer.  it's an elegant and subtle book, which is why
 > people like micah like it.

It's also written in layman's terms, and is one of the very few C
books which are truly accurate.

 > i've never read "learning C", but it sounds like the kind of book that
 > would be good for a first language person.

I've heard some not so good things about that one, I believe. Various
inaccuracies.

 > there's a guy named herb schildt who writes tons of books on C and C++.
 > stay away from his books.

Amen to that. IIRC, one of the cheapest ways you could get your hands
on teh ISO standards was to buy his annotated print copy. The relevant
newsgroups would recommend that you buy the book, and then black-out
all his annotations :)

-Micah