2002 Aug 25 21:45

Re: [vox] OT: Questions on Application to Graduate programs...

Re: [vox] OT: Questions on Application to Graduate programs...

begin Nicole Carlson <nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu>
> On Sun, 25 Aug 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> I'm in a master's program and am quite happy about it.  CS is such a broad
> field; I was glad of the chance to specialize a bit more.

yeah.  it can be bummer.  until you reach professorhood, you're locked
into a really, really narrow field.  that's another reason why choosing
a prof is of prime importance.

> Do not stress about the GRE; in particular, do not blow $hundreds on a
> prep course [1].  I got one of those prep books, worked my way through it,
> and did just fine (2310 combined).

btw, this makes you eligible to join mensa.

> You'll need a bit of practice to catch the
> trick to the logic games, a bit of vocab review, and some time spent
> getting back into the mental habit of standardized tests; that's it,
> really.
> My "secret weapon" on standardized test was to bring along a little snack
> (I used Snickers bars).  Eat the snack during break--it's good for a little
> bit of pep at the top of the second half of the test.

one of the things i did was create vocabulary lists and put them in
those waterproof folders.   i hung the folders from the shower head and
shampoo rack and tested myself on vocabulary while taking showers.  :)

pete