2002 Aug 17 09:06

[vox] For the Sysadmins out there

This is a question regarding network policies in general, and it's a simple
one -- more philosophical than technical.

Let's say that you're administering a network of about 100 users.  In addition
to a large shared directory which all users have access to, each user has
their own directory in the network.  Many files which are used frequently by
several users are all stored in the shared directory (e.g., correspondence
templates, tracking spreadsheets, common databases, etc.).  Would it be your
policy, as is apparently the policy of the sysadmin where I'm working right
now, to encourage users to NOT save important shared documents in the shared
drive, but in their own user directories -- which, of course, are not shared
out to the other users?  If so, why?  I really want to know if there is sense
to this policy before I laugh too loudly.

Is it relevant that this is a Win2K network?

--
Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford

MSN:  underpope@hotmail.com