2002 Aug 14 15:17

Re: [vox] lugod faq update: broadband in davis

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 02:00:31PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Ryan (ryan@mother.com):
>
> > Cal.net. Watch out, their EULA prevents servers without permission.
>
> http://front.cal.net/form_acceptableuse.cfm
>
>    "Hosting of any content or service (email, web, etc.) on your user
>    access account is expressly prohibited unless specifically authorized
>    in writing by Cal.Net Internet Services."
>
> The cynic in me suspects that this policy is not enforced against people
> using MS-Windows File and Print Sharing, which is, of course, an
> advertised network service.  There is widespread hypocrisy on that
> point, nationwide.

To agree with this assertion, it has also happened nationwide at
universities. Networking/IT departments decided that they should be able
to have the root password to linux boxes in dorms because they were
servers. In some cases, the Networking/IT staff at the universities would
back down from this when they were told that MS Windows and Mac OS were
also servers if the definition of a server included offering services such
as file sharing. However, in other cases it took lobying from students in
dorms to make the campus rules change.

They still associate *NIX with "server" and windows as "client" which is
something that could be exploited when you think about it. :-)

However, it is impressive how uninformed some people in universities can
be when they really should know more about their work. :-(

Even more sad, is the idea: "I dont understand it, so I must have
administrative access to it!" (uneasy snickering)

-ME