2002 Aug 11 16:17

Re: [vox] word processing software (was: visio on linux)

andy wergedal wrote:

> --- Tim Riley <timriley@timriley.net> wrote:
> > What is Enterprise software?
>
> Enterprise software is for large companies (1,000+
> employees) that affects the entire business. Like ERM
> (Enterprise Resource Management - keeping track of the
> employees time and costs), CRM (Customer Resource
> Management - Keeping track of customers), Accounting, and
> other systems like that. These solutions usually run on
> high-availability, fail-over systems that must not fail.

Do you know what OS your shops run on? VMS, MVS?
Is your company's Enterprise software canned to customized?
Is the source code COBOL?
(This information is useful for those who feel a market could
be penetrated.)

> I know that my description defines a great avenue for
> Linux, but that why Linux is gaining ground in the Server
> arena and not on the desktop.

I have to learn MS Office for school, and it is impressive.
I'm no fan of Big Bill's collusion with hardware manufactures,
but his investment in developing an integrated desktop
application has produced impressive results. It's easy
to see that Linux enthuses have to play "keep up with
the Gates'" in the desktop arena.