2002 Aug 10 15:46

Re: [vox] word processing software (was: visio on linux)

Re: [vox] word processing software (was: visio on linux)

Quoting andy wergedal (awerg@yahoo.com):

> Defending myself is not my favorite pastime. I was simply
> stating factual informaiton from my personal point of view.

Please let me know who's attacking you, so I can have words with him.
Certainly, we shouldn't have to stand still for that.

> The main point of my statements in this thread, were to point out that
> because of my employment choices I am tied to Microsoft's OS and
> Office offerings, nothing more or less.

So,

   Linux is gaining ground in the Server
   arena and not on the desktop.

...only _looks_ like an assertion of fact.  Ah.  OK.

> In case my integrity is still challenged...

Again, please let me know what despicable person has challenged your
integrity.  I wish to give that person the rough side of my tongue,
at the very least.

> I worked for GDS (Global Distribution Center for HP) for the last two
> years. Once HP accepted Linux as a strategic OS (along with windows
> and HPUX) we shipped 90% linux servers and 10% linux desktops. The
> volume of transactions that I was personally involved with was in the
> around 45,000 boxes in 45 countries. (I feel that this volume is at
> least a representitive sample of the market, and so my opinion should
> be considered) Even if 50% of all the desktops sold were converted to
> Linux after the purchase, the majority is not linux.

So, what you're saying is that, just like IDC, Gartner Group, Meta
Group, AllNet Research, and Netcraft, you basically have no idea how
many Linux deployments there actually are in the field.  Splendid.

--
Cheers,                                      "Reality is not optional."
Rick Moen                                             -- Thomas Sowell