2002 Aug 10 14:23

Re: [vox] word processing software (was: visio on linux)

Re: [vox] word processing software (was: visio on linux)

Quoting Micah Cowan (micah@cowan.name):

> I believe the quote from me above rather implies the answer to your
> question.

This is more than a little confusing, I'm afraid -- since the quotation
discussed was from Mr. Andy Wergedal, not you.

> "Belief or opinion", naturally. As you so lucidly pointed
> out, who could back it up with facts?

Hmm, you seem to have changed the subject, here.  My question was:

   So, do you think "Linux is gaining ground in the server arena and not
   on the desktop" sounds like someone's "belief or opinion", or an
   assertion of fact?

Showing that an assertion of fact would be difficult to substantiate
doesn't turn it into a statement of opinion or belief, only into a
really foolhardy assertion of fact.  Possibly one the speaker didn't
expect to get called on.

> If you don't agree that I implied it, the sentence after that one
> stated it rather explicitly...

Mr. Wergedal posted _no_ sentence after that one.  Only his signoff
followed, and then the end of his message.

> No. But I find plenty whose motto is apparently "the One Right Tool
> for any job".

Oh, do tell, please!  I'm just an easily confused techie, unable to
understand without examples the sweeping, grand truths often vouchsafed
to us:  To my inadequate powers of comprehension, they seem
indistinguishable from empty rhetoric.

So, I await your specific examples with great interest.

--
Cheers,                                      "Reality is not optional."
Rick Moen                                             -- Thomas Sowell