2002 Aug 10 13:57

Re: [vox] word processing software (was: visio on linux)

Rick Moen writes:
 > Quoting Micah Cowan (micah@cowan.name):
 >
 > > In the absence of hard facts, it is often acceptible to state one's
 > > belief or opinion, based on personal observations.
 >
 > So, do you think "Linux is gaining ground in the server arena and not on
 > the desktop" sounds like someone's "belief or opinion", or an assertion of
 > fact?  I'm curious.

I believe the quote from me above rather implies the answer to your
question. "Belief or opinion", naturally. As you so lucidly pointed
out, who could back it up with facts?

If you don't agree that I implied it, the sentence after that one
stated it rather explicitly...

 > > I'm no zealot....
 >
 > I've noticed that factual questions usually aren't fruitfully addressed
 > by pronouncing whether the speaker is a zealot or not.

Agreed. Which is why that portion, and below, was a tangent, and had
little to do with addressing any question whatsoever. Which I also
acknowledged by my final sentence about "rambling".

 > > The right tool for the job is my creed.
 >
 > You know, it would be _so_ refreshing to find someone whose motto is
 > "the wrong tool for the job".  I just can't seem to find any.

No. But I find plenty whose motto is apparently "the One Right Tool
for any job".

-Micah