2002 Aug 10 10:35

[vox] "Sun Casts Shadow Before Linux Gathering"

[vox] "Sun Casts Shadow Before Linux Gathering"

So I noticed some article on Yahoo! news entitled
"Sun Casts Shadow Before Linux Gathering":

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20020809/tc_nm/tech_linux_dc_1

I started reading it, and then realized that the author is either REALLY
writing down to his audience, or is just a dimwit. :^P

    Is there a wolf in penguin's clothing?

    That is the theme of a spirited discussion among supporters of the Linux
    operating system, a freely available piece of basic software with a
    penguin mascot.

'piece of basic software?'  I guess that's how he's trying to describe
what an Operating System is.  Last I saw, Linux was neither 'basic,
nor was it written _in_ BASIC. :)

  10 DOMINATE WORLD
  20 GOTO 10

He goes on:

    Linux, which will be debated and celebrated at the Linuxworld exposition
    in San Francisco Aug. 13-15, must prove itself in the rarefied world of
    running crucial corporate applications, like huge databases, analysts said.

I'm not sure what his idea of 'proving one's self' or 'crucial' are, but
I'm fairly certain some other large publications have been writing about
the fact that Linux already IS doing this.  (This sounds like it was
written in the last millenia!)

Further:

    Linux is a new version of Unix, the mainstay corporate operating system,
    though it does not yet have the reliability and power of older Unix
    systems, analysts say.

I wonder if this 'analyst' was the 15-year old WindowsME-using eL1Te hax0r
who lives next door.  Calling it a "new version of Unix" is just wrong in
so many ways.

Sidenote:  I've always disliked how people call Linux an "upstart" OS.
Hell, I've read that _recently._   11 years old is not "UPSTART."
(Maybe I should double-check the definition of the word, though. ;^) )

    "Linux and Unix combined are competing with Microsoft," whose Windows
    program is graduating from personal computers to powerful servers and
    which offers its own, mostly-Microsoft view of the world, dubbed .Net,"
    said Pierre Fricke, an analyst at research firm D.H. Browne.

Again, this sounds like it was written YEARS ago.  Windows is only NOW
"graduating ... to powerful servers"!?  I mean... sure, _I'd_ never run
Windows as a server OS (or at all, frankly), but it really sounds like these
people never heard of "Windows NT" or "Windows 2000" (by name, already 2 years
old :^) )

That's about all I could stand of this.  Ironically, I much preferred
what I read of an article on MSNBC about the Sharp Zaurus.  Sure, it's
about 6 months late to be doing a review of the thing, but at least it
was a well-rounded and rather positive review!

<in the voice of the MCP>  End Of Rant