2002 Aug 10 00:05

Re: [vox] visio on linux

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, GNU Linux wrote:

> However, in the long term this windoze emulation, Samba, etc is a waste
> of time imho. (Yes Jeremy Allison, your time would be better spent
> coming up with a better network file protocol instead of trying to keep
> up reverse engineering M$ changes)

OK, I agree with most of this, but I strongly disagree with one point.

I used to dual boot.  I don't really bother with that stategy
anymore, though I do have one computer at home with Win2k to run two
things:  1. My scanner (no es simpatico con linux) and 2. Tony Hawk's Pro
Skater 2/3.

I used to run Win4Lin quite a bit.  I have it installed in my laptop but I rarely
use it anymore, except very rarely to play with flash or fireworks).
but i don't really grove off win4lin, wmware, and wine.  to
me this is the most significant part of what you said above.  why do
brilliant programmers invest SO much time chasing after that  emulation
fantasy?  do we need that?  christ why is transgaming in business but loki
is not???  if every win4lin and wine programmer worked on
abiword or openoffice, would any of us be using those other products.  unlikely.

Anyway, I don't think Samba is a waste of programmer's time.  In fact, I
think it's one of the most useful Linux apps available.  In fact (again),
I'd argue that without Samba, Linux wouldn't be as far as it is today.  To
a lesser extent than is the case with Apache, Samba makes the hetergeneous
network play nice, and it does so very well.  To borrow Larry Wall's glue
analogy, I believe Linux is fastly becoming the glue of the internet, and
Samba is a very important ingredient.

Dave