2002 Aug 09 23:04

Re: [vox] need help with an url

Rick Moen writes:
 > Quoting Peter Jay Salzman (p@dirac.org):
 >
 > > can someone tell me if they have trouble with the url:
 > >    http://www.dirac.org/linux/lugod/FAQ/lugod-faq.html#MOSTCOMMON
 >
 > You know, the most definitive tool for investigating such things is good
 > ol' /usr/bin/telnet.
 >
 > rick@cthulhu:/tmp$ telnet www.dirac.org 80
 > Trying 64.164.47.8...
 > Connected to adsl-64-164-47-8.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net.
 > Escape character is '^]'.
 > GET /linux/lugod/FAQ/lugod-faq.html#MOSTCOMMON

Huh! I didn't think that was legal - but I tried it. I've never
encountered the HTTP/0.9 standard - but it appears not to allow
for headers of any kind?

These days, I've gotten used to forming HTTP/1.0 queries (which force
Connection: Close) along with the "Host" header (been burned too many
times where virtual hosts get used).

 > <HTML
 > ><HEAD
 > ><TITLE
 > >The LUGOD FAQ</TITLE
 > ><META
 > NAME="GENERATOR"
 > CONTENT="Modular DocBook HTML Stylesheet Version 1.76b+
 > "></HEAD
 > >

 > [...]
 >
 > ></DIV
 > ></DIV
 > ></DIV
 > ></BODY
 > ></HTML
 > >Connection closed by foreign host.
 > rick@cthulhu:/tmp$
 >
 > Look like HTML over an HTTP session, to me.

Yeah - looks like Jade's brand of HTML output to me. I hate that look.

It seems plausible to me that if someone is having trouble getting
that URL on some obscure user-agent, it might be that some
non-standards-compliantš browser chokes on the strange format.

-Micah

šI /assume/ that the above eyesore is standards-compliant, as I don't
have access to the SGML standard, and James Clark claims it's
compliant. XML allows it, so it probably is...