January 6: Social gathering
2002 Aug 09 22:58

Re: [vox] visio on linux

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 04:58:38PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> i would've been excited to hear about this before MS bought visio:
>
> crossover office 1.2 will have support for visio, quicken and quick
> books (whatever that is).
>
> i *hope* this can be used to help reverse engineer the visio plugin
> format...

It's been several months since I've ranted, so here goes:

Ever since I have been using linux there has been much effort in reverse
engineering MS protocols, file formats, etc.

In the short term it is good to be able to emulate windoze programs like
Visio under linux.

However, in the long term this windoze emulation, Samba, etc is a waste
of time imho. (Yes Jeremy Allison, your time would be better spent
coming up with a better network file protocol instead of trying to keep
up reverse engineering M$ changes)

In the long term (how many people planning on being here for the long
haul?) it would be better to come up with better protocols, file
formats, diagramming programs etc.