2002 Aug 08 15:52

Re: [vox] Fry's has Linux PCs!

begin nbs <nbs@sonic.net>

> Someone at lunch noticed the Fry's ad on the back of yesterday's
> SacBee was advertising a pre-built PC with Linux installed!
>
> 1.1GHz Intel Celeron processor
> Linux based Internet ready Multimedia PC
>
> * 1.1GHz Intel Celeron Processor
> * 128 MB SDRAM
> * 200 GB Hard Drive
> * 52x CD-ROM Drive
> * 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter
> * 56K Modem
> * Many software applications prebundled including
>   Word Processor, Spreadsheet, HTML Editor, Graphics Editors,
>   Web Browsers, lots of games and more!
> * ThizLinux, Linux Operating System
>
> Regular Price:  $399.99
> Instant Gift Rebate:  $100.00
>
> $299.99 In-Store Price After Instant Gift Rebate
>
> Limit 1 per customer
> #3308362
>

> I've never heard of "ThizLinux."  Anyone here familiar with it?

yeah, we (the physics dept) just bought a few for the "teaching
highschool kids how to build their own PC class".

we just took the computers apart, taught the kids about PC hardware and
had them put it back together.

we were totally shocked that the thing booted into linux.  we had no
idea; we just the computers because they were cheap.

the only thing i know about thizlinux is that it uses grub.  :)

pete