2002 Aug 08 14:39

Re: [vox] Introduction me & TWikIWeThey

Rod Roark writes:
 > I'll be interested to see how your Wiki works out.  I'm
 > reasonably familiar with TWiki, using it just for myself to
 > maintain server configuration notes.
 >
 > But for a public web site that anyone can alter... idunno.
 > I understand the theory, that "it will work itself out".
 > It's the believing that is hard.  :-)
 >
 > With all the emphasis today on security of web sites, and
 > all the publicity when one gets hacked, the idea of a site
 > that anyone on the planet can blow away whenever they feel
 > like it is not very settling.  :-)
 >
 > Anyway, good luck, and I hope to meet you in person soon.

I would agree: complete trust is crazy - there's always some immature
brat who thinks he's sooo 1337 by blitzing the thing. 'Course, the
MULTICS answer to that was to make it so trivial to bring the whole
thing crashing down that *nobody* would think it's 1337.

However, that's not what we have here - if some lamer blitzes
something important out of spite, they have two things:

  1. A revision-control system which would let them simply undo that
     change

  2. A record of whodunnit :)

That's enough for me. Though, if you had such a site with millions of
participants, the admins might have a tough time constantly rolling
back changes and kicking the lamers who did it.... might mean to just
make more of the users admins, tho'...

-Micah