January 6: Social gathering
2002 Aug 08 07:28

[vox] Introduction me & TWikIWeThey

I've met a few of you IRL as I've been to several LUGoD meetings over
the past several months, had my first meeting back in 2000 when my
then-boss Rob Ferber presented a stateless clustering technolgy, June 6,
2000 (http://lugod.org/meeting/past/2000.06.06.php).  I'm a LUG slut as
I've been with and/or attended meetings with SVLUG, BALUG, NBLUG, LXNY,
and a number of other formal and informal groups.  LUGoD's impressed me
as one of the most incredibly organized groups I've seen anywhere.

I'm currently living and working in Napa (1:10 via 128 & Lake Berryssa
in the 6pm press, 35 minutes via I-80 at the witching hour).  Preferred
distro is Debian, though I've messed with a bunch of them, including
BSDs, proprietary 'Nixes, MVS and VMS (most of which is a distant
memory).  Doin' GNU/Linux since 1997.

Among my interests are various forms of group discussion, collaborative
tools, filtering, etc.  The Scoop moderation and mojo systems (used in
Kuro5hin.org and other sites) is based on my designs.  More recently,
I've been working with Wikis, and have been putting together a
technically-oriented documentation site, TWikIWeThey (the name is a long
story itself, more below), which you can find at:

    http://twiki.iwethey.org/

...and about the name (and group):

    http://twiki.iwethey.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/IweOurHistory

...think of this as bridging a space between discussion groups and
forums such as mailing lists, newsgroups, and discussion boards, where
response tends to be quick but much data is frequently reiterated, and
sometimes incorrect -- and the LDP HOWTOs, which are often excellent,
but can be slow to evolve and update, and often miss details of edge
cases or troubleshooting techniques which build better from varied
experiences.  All are invited and welcome to participate (and yes, that
means contribute ;-).

TWiki's got a number of really neat features, among them:

   * _You can edit (almost) any page._
   * Cross-reference links are trivial:  used MixedCase words, known as
     WikiWords.
   * Searching is built in.  I've modified the templates to put a search
     dialog on every topic page.  Searches can also be used to generate
     content.
   * Built-in version control.  All changes are versioned, any prior
     topic version can be viewed.
   * Numerous plugins, from tables to smilies to tree views to
     InterWikis, which allow easy links to both other similar sites, and
     to web-based tools such as Google, ISB-based book references, and
     Bugzilla (and adding other keywords is trivial).
   * RSS feeds and scrapers -- TWikIWeThey both has an RSS feed (see the
     front page), and presents headlines from a number of websites of
     group interest.

...and much, much more.  I've been quite impressed by the tool, and hope
that others find it useful.  Oh yeah, it's GPL'd free software, based on
Perl.

Peace.

   TWikIWeThey: Provocative, super smart, and oh yeah, just a little sexy.
     http://twiki.iwethey.org/