2002 Aug 06 10:45

Re: [vox] disable serial port

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Anil Garg wrote:

> hi,
>
> I have to disable serial port on a unix system(intel-STL2 motherboard).
>
> What is do is:
> - at the time of boot i hit F2, in setup i go to advanced > Peripheral
> settings.
> - here in port 1 i choose disable and save and exit out.
>
> now instead of just disabling that serial port it also disables my keyboard.
>
> Why is so happening??How can i remedy it?

I have never used this motherboard... there could be bugs in the BIOS, but
I usually assume such bugs are unlikely.  This is apparently a server
motherboard, which is more likely to have an "ignore keyboard" option to
bypass the keyboard function test on boot. I don't think this option
usually disables the keyboard, though.

Note that unplugging and plugging in a PS/2 keyboard while the computer is
powered can burn out the keyboard electrical connection.  I have
experienced this before.  I think it is also possible that the keyboard
interface on the motherboard may get burned out by such mistreatment,
though I have (fortunately) not experienced this. :)

> Can i disable serial port in some other way also...i mean by making some
> changes in some file(in windows nt system i can do that from boot.ini file)

In most cases, you are disabling a serial port because you want to use the
interrupts and/or io ports it uses for a different device.  Only the BIOS
can disable the hardware in a fashion that will allow this.  (Not even
"boot.ini" on an NT system can do this.)

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing