2002 Jul 29 10:47

[vox] Meeting on August 6th...New Face

Hi, everyone...we will be spending a week in Davis relaxing, and I see
that the LUGOD meeting on August 6th is in that window.

I have a few items that I could bring to donate for door prizes, raffle,
or whatever the gurus deem to be the right thing to do.

One is the latest 4-CD set of the Slackware 8.1 distro.  To go with that,
I have the _Installation and Getting Started_ book for Slackware, and
_Linux the Complete Reference_ book, as well as the out-of-print _Linux
Bible_ from years ago, by (I assume) now defunct Yggdrasil Computing.

These materials are excess to my needs as I have Mandrake 8.1, which I
picked up because of its popularity at UCR, installed on my dedicated
Linux machine.  This is fine for right now as I'm a relative newbie to
UNIX/Linux, having taken an intro and a shell scripting course at UCR
Extension last quarter.  It sure looks like everything is leaning toward
Red Hat.  Yes, I know they're only distros.

So, let me know if these materials are of interest, and I'll be glad to
add them to the pile of stuff going in the SUV.

Also...anyone know of a bookstore in the Davis area that buys computer
books?  Some that I'm trying to get rid of are for older versions of
Windows (sorry!) but I also have some relatively new books on DB2 and
MS Visual Basic and Visual C++

Will look forward to meeting everyone on the sixth!

Jim Lowman
San Bernardino, CA