January 6: Social gathering
2002 Jul 26 17:44

Re: [vox] broadband recommendations?

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> Basically...
>
>    - You *can* get PacBell's DSL to work with Linux but it's a lot of
>      hassle because PacBell won't give you tech support if you use Linux.
>      Also, you have to install PPPoE ("PPP over Ethernet) software for
>      Linux, which used to be quite a problem, but it's now widespread
>      enough that it shouldn't be a problem if you poke a little.
>
>    - Omsoft (http://www.omsoft.com/) is a great company to be the
>      middle-man for you because PacBell can be such a hassle.  From what
>      others say, they charge about $10 more than PacBell, but they give
>      you static IP, which has a lot of advantages over PPPoE.  They also
>      give you better tech support.  FYI, PacBell charges you $10 more for
>      static IP anyway  (or they used to; maybe they don't offer that
>      service at all now), so you're not really losing any money by going
>      with Omsoft -- you just pay a bit more for static IP and better tech
>      support comes for free.
>
> -Mark

Thanks for the clarification, Mark.  Looking at the websites, it appears
that Omsoft would be only a couple dollars more expensive if I'm the only
one using the service, and would increase by $6 for each additional IP
address... so might be an even better deal than you indicate.

Can anyone tell me how much time should be expected to pass between
ordering and actually getting the service working?  Trying to determine
how soon I should take action...

Thanks again,
Alex