2002 Jul 26 17:13

[vox] broadband recommendations?

Am about to move to a new location, closer to campus, and am considering
the possibility of subscribing to DSL or another broadband internet
service, rather than getting a private phoneline, since what I tend to use
a private phoneline for is dialing up to the internet anyway.

I've just been poking around on the Pacific Bell website, and their form
indicates that DSL is available for the phone number in question, but they
don't list Linux as one of the supported operating systems.  Is this just
them being ignorant, or are there really problems with connecting Linux
to the internet via DSL?  What experiences have you guys had using DSL or
other broadband connections in the Davis area?  What connection
methods/companies do you recommend?  Any advice on ensuring relatively
prompt connection to the internet, and what sort of time frame should I
expect?

Thanks in advance,
Alex

"He knows everything about nothing,
And not very much about that.
If you know someone who knows what he knows,
Then you know Henry's cat."
                           --opening song to "Henry's Cat,"
                             (a children's cartoon I saw in England)