2002 Jul 25 19:28

Re: [vox] Slashdot lay-offs

Quoting Micah Cowan (micah@cowan.name):

> Actually, this is exactly one of the decisions I've made about life in
> general that I feel to be a stress-preventative one. Not that I never
> become emotionally involved with my job (I strive, actually, only to
> take jobs in which I do - but I may be meaning something different
> than you); but that the instant my job crosses the line over to my
> life, it is time to strengthen the wall that devides them.

Second the motion.

I have a rough heuristic to go by:  Twice in my life I've found myself
stuck under dishonest and unscrupulous supervisors and unable to
transfer to a different department.  Both times I found, during my
periodic visits to donate blood, that I'd suddenly developed elevated
blood pressure.  Last time (late last year), it was actually so high
that the facility wouldn't let me give blood at all.

I happen to be a very healthy guy, do long-distance bicycling for fun,
and generally have blood pressure on the _low_ side of normal.
(Sometimes I nearly black out from standing up too quickly.)  So, _one_
episode of hypertension when I had a weasel for a boss might have been
coincidence; _two_ is the start of a rule to live by.

So, rule:  Vote with your feet, whenever your veins send you a telegram.
I had a chance to do that last November, and regret that I tried to
outlast the weasel instead.

--
Cheers,                                              "Java is COBOL 2.0."
Rick Moen                                              -- Deirdre Saoirse Moen