2002 Jul 23 15:22

Re: [vox] Bart Decrem

i was first aware of pgp and always wanted to use it.  after awhile, i
discovered that we don't use pgp -- it's encumbered by patented
algorithms.

instead we use gpg, or gnupg, an open source and unencumbered version of
pgp.

yeah, i think this would be a good idea.  i think henry knows WAY more
about this stuff than i do.  i just know how to use gpg.  :)  maybe we
can enlist him to give a short talk on it, followed by a key signing
party.

we have the ORA pgp book which i'm currently reading.  for the most
part, gpg seems to mirror pgp's interface exactly, so the book might as
well be called gpg.  the only changes are very minor.

for instance, this book example is invalid in gpg:

   gpg -seat foo.bar -r hajhouse@houseag.com -u p@dirac.org

instead, you need to do this:

   gpg -r hajhouse@houseag.com -u p@dirac.org -seat foo.bar

(this command encrypts foo.bar using henry's public key and digitally
signs it with my private key).

i'm thinking of filing a bugreport (wishlist) against gpg.  i don't see
why the order of cmdline arg switches is important here.

pete

begin Rusty Minden <clownsinc@attbi.com>