2002 Jul 25 19:28

[vox] International Organization for Standardization

[vox] International Organization for Standardization

sorry for starting a new thread ... i accidently (and deservedly so)
deleted all the relevant e-mails from the original thread.

anyway, jumping way late into this already beaten dead horse, i'd just
like to point out that ISO does not even qualify as an acronym to be
pluralized in the context in whichit's being discuessed here.

ISO is a tech-ism, and sort of like calling a Cheverolet a Chevy, ISO is
short for _ISO 9660 image file_ or something to that effect.  and you have to
acknowldege that the plural of the forshortaned name is sort of a double
grammatical folly.

here's an example:

The military police arrested me.
The MPs arrested me.
(or MP's or M.P.s if you buy into anybody's "it's okay
to be grammatically sloppy as long as it looks right" arguments)

Just like in the above example, the plural is actually misleading.  there
is no such thing as MPs, because what you mean is an implied _military
police officers_ or something similar.  but you also wouldn't write: The
MP arrested me and leave it up to the reader to imply the pluarlity.

the plural on the ISO is implied, which is why i think the ISOs vs ISO's
is moot.  ISOs is closer to correct, but Pete gave the most correct answer
in his first e-mail...

I have six ISO images or
I have six ISO image files.