2002 Jul 22 02:51

Re: [vox] [OT] ISO's vs ISOs

begin Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us>
> On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> > begin Henry House <hajhouse@houseag.com>
> > > On Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 11:08:52PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> > ps- it's perfectly acceptable for a language to be a living thing. :)
>
> Not at the expense of clarity.

of course, your assumption here is that they don't introduce clarity.

i would say your assumption is dead wrong.

> The rules for use of apostrophes are quite
> clear in this case, and you would be attempting to introduce an imprecise
> usage to supplant a precise one... not likely to be accepted by the rest
> of the english-literate population.

introduce?  humbug.  the world is bursting at the seams with people who
use ISO's.

> It is your perception that apostrophes make this case clearer which needs
> to be adapted, because they only confuse the issue for most people.

i dunno, jeff.  i've asked a bunch of people at this point.  you're
definitely in the minority out of population surveyed.  no doubt about
it.  more people would say you're wrong here than right.

pete