2002 Jul 22 01:29

Re: [vox] [OT] ISO's vs ISOs

begin Ryan <ryan@mother.com>

> On Monday 22 July 2002 12:47 am, Micah Cowan wrote:
> > Peter Jay Salzman writes:
> >  > consider the following two sentences:
> >  >
> >  >    A) Getting Debian ISO's has always been a painful experience.
> >  >    B) Getting Debian ISOs has always been a painful experience.
>
> http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/Hacker-Writing-Style.html
>
> Especialy intresting is dealing with quotes and punctuation.
>
> English dictates that you write 'Type "dd."' instead of 'Type "dd".'.
>
> Proper english causes confusion in this case. I say screw proper english when
> it creates confusion.

:-)

absolutely.  leslie lamport (author of latex) wrote in his book that
proper english has:

   The sign read "Keep Off The Lawn."

i would rather put my right hand into a meat grinder.  i don't care who
says what.  i'll always write:

   The sign read "Keep Off The Lawn".

i guess this is exactly what you wrote.  i was just agreeing with you.

pete