2002 Jul 22 23:51

Re: [vox] Web-based e-mail software

nbs writes:
 > On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 12:42:00AM -0700, Micah Cowan wrote:
 > >
 > > Question: why do you care whether it's over HTTPS? Offering email over
 > > HTTPS is kind of moot, since all your mail is sent in the clear by the
 > > time it's reached the server.
 >
 > More concerned about having my account login/password protected.

Gotcha. Was it verified that it was not in fact protected (i.e., they
were using, say, Basic authentication instead of Digest
authentication)? Not that I expect that it was - I don't think I've
come across any sites that used anything other than Basic
authentication, for some reason. Perhaps because it would only be
supported by HTTP/1.1 compliant browsersą... but you could at least
detect compliance and fallback to Basic with a warning message (yeah,
right...)

-Micah

ąDigest authentication is not actually part of HTTP/1.1, but along
with Basic is an extension to that protocol; HTTP/1.1 is RFC2616, and
the authentication methods are RFC2617.