2002 Jul 22 00:39

Re: [vox] Web-based e-mail software

Ryan writes:

 > On Sunday 21 July 2002 04:01 pm, Richard Crawford wrote:
 > > I've looked at a couple of systems, such as SquirrelMail and
 > > OpenWebMail; but most of the ones I've looked at require installing an
 > > IMAP server (which I am willing to do but which I'd rather not do quite
 > > yet), or setting Sendmail up to accept incoming mail (not an option).
 > >
 > > Has anyone got any suggestions?
 >
 > I've used OpenWebMail, and liked it very much. Cal.net offers it, but I
 > stopped using it after they stopped offering it over https.

Question: why do you care whether it's over HTTPS? Offering email over
HTTPS is kind of moot, since all your mail is sent in the clear by the
time it's reached the server. If you're worried about security, you
should have the sender encrypt it before they send it - otherwise, you
might as well fugeddabowdit.

As far as email security is concerned, there're really only two levels
that come to my mind: password security (for which the simple APOP
secret verification process is quite adequate), and message
security. You don't get message security via HTTPS, unless the mail
originated at the server, which is completely hackproof (which, of
course, is impossible). You get it via PGP.

-Micah