2002 Jul 23 17:37

RE: [vox] [OT] ISO's vs ISOs

I asked a writer I know that same question several months ago.

She told me that traditionally you would not use an apostrophe when forming
the plural of an acronym, but that it's becoming more and more acceptable to
do so.

To me the apostrophe makes it clear that the "s" isn't part of the acronym,
so I've always tended use them in cases like this.

A couple of other examples of strange apostrophe usage (though I guess these
aren't actually acronyms) come to mind:
"1970's"
"mind your P's and Q's"

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: vox-admin@lists.lugod.org [mailto:vox-admin@lists.lugod.org]On
Behalf Of Peter Jay Salzman
Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2002 11:09 PM
To: Linux User Group of Davis
Subject: [vox] [OT] ISO's vs ISOs

consider the following two sentences:

   A) Getting Debian ISO's has always been a painful experience.
   B) Getting Debian ISOs has always been a painful experience.

sentence B seems more correct, but to my eyes, sentence A looks more
pleasing; it just looks better with the apostrophe.

suppose i *don't* want to skirt the issue by writing something else,
like:

   C) Getting Debian ISO images has always been a painful experience.

which sentence would people here use?

pete