2002 Jul 22 00:26

Re: [vox] [OT] ISO's vs ISOs

> sentence B seems more correct, but to my eyes, sentence A looks more
> pleasing; it just looks better with the apostrophe.

That's exactly what leads people into many an apostrophe error.  ;->

Back when I was editor for many years of the 40-page monthly newsletter
for the San Francisco PC User Group, borrowing a gag from the New York
Times, I invented and printed a fake letter to the editor (December 1995
issue):

Dear Editor:

Could you set me straight on apostrophe's? I can't keep its and it's
straight. All those possessive's and contractions are confusing.

Thank's.

Charle's Owen's
San Carlo's

Dear Charles:

Sure, no problem: It's is not, it isn't ain't, and it's it's, not its,
if you mean it is. If you don't, it's its. Then, too, it's hers. It
isn't her's. It isn't our's, either. It's ours, and likewise yours and
theirs. See, it's handy to have a publication that knows its it's from
its its, isn't it?  - Ed.